About the Author: Oscar M Cairoli, RN, BSN, MA, PHN
The author has over 34 years in the field of Nephrology/Dialysis. He has a BSN and Masters in Management and a Public Health Certification from the state of California. He has written multiple papers regarding dialysis, as done presentations all over the country.
- Dry Ultrafiltration Using the Drake-Willock 4215. Dialysis and Transplantation, November 1981, p. 964.
- First Impressions: The Drake-Willock 7200 Bicarbonate. Dialysis and Transplantation, March 1983, p. 203.
- Military Cutbacks Impact on Emergency Services. Nurseweek, April 1992.
- Aluminum Kinetics Using Bicarbonate Dialysate with the Sorbent System. Kidney International, Vol. 43,#4, April 1993. Co-authors: F. Llach, P. Gardner, and P. George.
- Is Prescribed KT/V Really Being Delivered? Dialysis and Transplantation, November 1993, p. 704.
- Controversies Surrounding High-Flux vs. Standard Dialysis. American Society for Artificial Organs (ASAIO), Abstract Journal, April 1994.
- Mortality and Reimbursement Rates: A Close Connection. Dialysis and Transplantation, June 1994, p. 335.
- Practical Application: Using Tissue Plasminogen Activator Overnight in Catheter Clrarance on Tunnel Catheters used for Hemodialysis. Peritoneal Dialysis International, Journal of the International Society for Peritoneal Dialysis, Volume 22, Supplement 1, 2002, p. S56.
- To Maximize the Creation of A.V. Fistulas: The Kaiser Way. Hemodialysis International, Volume 7, Issue 1, February 2003, p. 73.
- Routine Ultrasound Studies of the Vascular Access in a Dialysis Center: A Review. Hemodialysis International, Volume 8 Issue 1, p. 73.
- The Economics and Practicality of t-PA vs. Tunnel Catheter Replacement for Hemodialysis. Hemodialysis International, Volume 9, Issue 1, p. 73.
- The West Nile Virus and the Dialysis/Transplant Patient. Nephrology News and Issues, November 2005, p. 73-75.
- Introducing Case Management into the Outpatient Dialysis Center. Nephrology News and Issues, April 2006, p. 57-59.
- Introducing Case Management in the Outpatient Dialysis center. Hemodialysis International, January 2007, Volume 11, Number 1, p. 140.
Published books by Oscar Cairoli
- Memory Bank for Hemodialysis. Williams and Wilkins, Baltimore, 1982, 1986. Co-author with Pamela Voyce.
- The Dialysis Handbook for Technicians and Nurses. Medical West Publishing, Los Angeles, 2003.
- The Dialysis Handbook for Technicians and Nurses, 2nd Edition. Medical West Publishing, Los Angeles, 2012.
Presentations by Oscar Cairoli
- Issues Surrounding High-Flux vs Standard Dialysis.American Nephrology Nurses Association (ANNA), May 17, 1992, Irvine, California.
- Managed Care: Becoming Part of the Continuum of Care.National Kidney Foundation (NKF), 45th Annual Meeting, November 1-5, 1995, San Diego, California. Poster presentation.
- Managed Care: Working through the Maze to Provide Continuity of Care.National Kidney Foundation, 5th Annual Spring Clinical Nephrology Meeting, April 25-28, 1996, Anaheim, California.
- Pre-ESRD Population Management Program - How to Delay Progression of Chronic Renal Failure Through Patient Education and Empowerment Activities.Nursing 2000 Conference, March 2000, Orlando, Florida. Poster presentation. Contributors: J. Diesto, M. Shapiro, D. Stinson.
- Practical Applications: Using t-PA Overnight in Catheter Clearance on Tunnel Catheters used for Hemodialysis.4th Annual Nephrology Symposium, April 2001, Long Beach, California. Poster presentation.
- Practical Applications: Using t-PA Overnight in Catheter Clearance on Tunnel Catheters used for Hemodialysis.Clinical Nephrology Meetings - 2001 Proceedings, National Kidney Foundation Symposium, April 2001, Orlando, Florida. Poster presentation.
- Strategies to Maximize Use of A.V. Fistulas.ANNA Symposium, January 2002, San Diego, California.
- Practical Applications: Using t-PA Overnight in Catheter Clearance on Tunnel Catheters used for Hemodialysis. 22nd Annual Dialysis Conference, University of Missouri-Columbia, March 4-6, 2002, Tampa, Florida. Awarded the Best NursingAbstract.
- To Maximize the Creation of A.V. Fitulas: The Kaiser Way.5th Annual Nephrology Symposium, Kaiser Permanente, May 3-4, 2002, Long Beach, California. Poster presentation.
- To Maximize the Creation of A.V. Fistulas: The Kaiser Way.Vascular Access for Hemodialysis VIII Symposium, May 9-19, 2002, Rancho Mirage, California.
- The Economics and Practicality of t-PA vs Tunnel Catheter Replacement for Hemodialysis.11th International Symposium for Hemodialysis, February 28 March 2, 2005, Tampa, Florida.
- Introducing Case Management in the Outpatient Dialysis Center.Oral Presentation. Managed Care Forum, American Association of Managed Care Nurses, November 11, 2009. Las Vegas, Nevada.
- Population Care Management Program in an Integrated Healthcare System - How to Delay the Progression of Chronic Renal Failure Through Patient Education and Empowerment Activities. 31st Annual Dialysis Conference, Phonix AZ, February 20 - 22, 2011 Poster Presentation.
- International Honor Society of Nursing - Sigma Theta Tau
- Nursing Honor Society - University of California, Los Angeles - Gamma Tau Chapter
- National Association of Hispanic Nurses
- Association of the United States Army